Bow Season Devotion

In Holly Overman by DOE Diaries Staff Member

Bow Season for West TN was just around the corner. As any great hunter will say, more time goes into practicing then the actual hunt themselves. I set a goal to get my first bow kill this year, and determined to make it happen.

My hope and motivation was high when season finally opened. Even expectations on what might be seen or experienced along the way. Several days went by without success, regardless it’s always amazing to be a part of and film God’s beautiful country.

On an overcast afternoon, a week after opening day, a doe gave me a chance. I stood there and waited as she made her way toward me. The closer she got, the faster my heart raced. I was finally able to draw back my bow as she stepped into my shooting lane. I released the arrow, unsure if it hit its mark as she turned and bolted to the woods. Doubt filled my mind and having no blood trail, we backed out ’til morning. That night would prove to be a restless night.

The next day I went back out, and looked in every direction with no sign of her or blood. Frustrated and about to give up, I found my arrow covered in blood. I searched all day yet still nothing. By the end of the day, I had to give up and take my arrow back home. I was crushed and heartbroken but could do nothing about it.

Many more hard hunting days go by, and still nothing. I beginning to lose hope, but my determination was stronger then my frustrations. One beautiful, October day, it all changed.

It was a calm, Sunday afternoon, and as I sat in the stand with no movement for over two hours, I began to get discouraged. It was starting to get dark, when a doe finally came out. It was too dark to film, so I just grabbed my bow and waited.

My heart beat faster, the closer she came. She ended up walking right below me stopping broadside. So I drew back, aimed, and let the arrow fly. She stumbled around before running off, and went down just a few yards away.

The overwhelming flow of emotions surged as I stood there shaking. My excitement grew with every second, and had to fight the urge to jump down and run to her. I didn’t know how well the shot was, so just stood there and waited in anticipation. I learned patience isn’t easy during that moment.

I ended up going home to give her little more time. After waiting long enough, I went back out to get her with my husband. When I walked up to her, I was overcome with extreme happiness. He got the arrow out while I admired her, and gave thanks to God. He truly blessed me with a beautiful animal. I spent that night looking back on my amazing experience.

As written in Gal. 6:9 “Let’s not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we’ll reap a harvest if we don’t give up.” Great words that got me through every hunt, from the highs to the lows. The experience is something I will always be able to look back on and smile. Never give up, you never know when a reward or harvest will come.